Saturday, January 9, 2010

Talking To Others About Being a Nudist

In the past, I haven't told too many people that I'm a nudist. I've wanted to, but I've hesitated. Lately I've mentioned it to some friends by steering the conversation towards the topic and there has always been acceptance, which has been mildly surprising.

From now on, I plan to speak about my being a nudist openly if it comes up in conversation, but not go out of my way to bring the subject up. Hesitation, worrying about what others will think, and bringing it up as though it is unusual will only lead to others thinking that I myself believe there is something wrong with nudism. Talking about it as a matter-of-fact will show others that it really is something normal; it's just another life choice. I guess this is part of my evolution as a nudist. Unless I fully accept my decisions myself, I really can't expect others to accept them, can I?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, exactly the attitude that I advocate. We don't need to shout it from the rooftops but when nudism does come up in the conversation, we should discuss it openly and honestly, without shame or embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nudists need to support the growing topfree equality movement. There are only 2,205 signers on the "Women's constitutional right to go topless in public" petition. I know there are more nudists then this. A lot of people would sign it if they knew. To find the petition just use Google._____Also on ideasforseattle.org is the new mayor's voting thing and clothing-optional
    beaches are the third most voted item. More nudists need to vote for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a major step in one's evolution as a nudist to reach that point where you can openly speak about it. Like you, we don't advertise it but don't shy away if the subject comes up.

    Most reasonable folks are curious and have no one to ask about it, and much as we might like to think otherwise, don't tend to search out web sites (like this one)that can give them a real picture of what the lifestyle is about. There are far too many exploitive sites that are simply selling a product.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem letting others know I'm a nudist but as AllNudist points out, I don't go out of my way to advertise it either. In much of my professional contacts I deal with some very conservative people . . . clients . . . whom have preconceived opinions. If it comes up, fine . . . if not I'm not going to take the chance that I may lose a customer.

    That said, if you approach all of this honestly you soon get past the preconceived linkages between sexuality, morality and nudity; and sometimes find some real interest.

    As others have stated, we need more sites like this to provide information on naturism and nudism.

    Rick aka BangedUpShins

    ReplyDelete