Monday, January 11, 2010

Spirituality and Nudism

There may be no inherent connection between spirituality and nudism, but for me they go hand in hand. Before I go further, I should define what I mean by spirituality. Webster's dictionary defines spirituality as "the quality or state of being spiritual", and defines spiritual as "of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit".

Taken in context with those definitions, nudism has been a spiritual experience for me. It uplifts my spirit, just as meditation does. And just as regular meditation gives me peace of mind, the ability to focus and a general state of wellness, nudism does too. Empirically proving that meditation helps me in the ways I've described is easy - if I stop, I see the benefits gradually diminish, and if I start again, I see the benefits kick back in. Similarly, if I cannot be a nudist for a while, I see the benefits diminish, and vice versa.


I concede that it may not be easy to make the connection between cause and effect. We are after all human beings with complex variables that continually affect us, so narrowing down the specific cause and the specific effect is not easy. I have however found a correlation in my state of mind and nudism, just as I have with meditation. Of course, I combine the two whenever I can, as the accompanying photograph shows ...

2 comments:

  1. "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose!"

    I think we have encumbered ourselves with not only material things but also business that can fill the days with meaningless activities. It certainly passes the time quickly but the days can seem empty and without any connection of a spiritual nature. Lots of humans involved with meditation, Zen, Hinduism, and other doctrines have shed much of the "baggage" in order to become more centered and to know themselves better. Buddha himself was rich and in an important family when he left it all to seek understanding of a deeper nature.

    I really have never been able to achieve any level of this type of spiritual knowledge but continue to think it is an important objective.

    Nudism might be a worthy step toward shedding the baggage, so-to-speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Don. I find myself continually trying to reduce the noise in my life. TV is a big culprit. Reducing watching TV helps in so many ways with the extra time to read or meditate or partake in a hobby, and the reduction of noise.

    ReplyDelete