Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Meditating on the Beach ... not quite!

I spent a wonderful day on the beach yesterday. There weren't too many of the Black's Beach Bares regulars, but the volleyball players were there as usual. I finished the book I was reading - "Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate" by Brad Warner. Another awesome book, just like his first book. This was his third book - I'll have to double back to the second book after this one. It called my name, and I had to read it. It's weird how his life seems to be a metaphorical version of mine in so many ways!

I did attempt to meditate/sit on the beach. The beach is a really nice place to meditate even if it isn't the quietest place in the world. The sound of the ocean successfully puts all other sounds in the background. There was only one problem ... the flies! I kept brushing them away while I read, but that was a background process. I didn't realize before I attempted to meditate how much of a distraction they would be. It's hard to clear your mind when all you are doing in chasing away flies. It was an interesting exercise while it lasted, but meditation in the beach will ideally have to wait for Spring when the flies have moved on. (I wonder where they go ... Do they move back North when it warms up there? Do flies migrate?)

No comments:

Post a Comment