Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Social Expectations

It's amazing how much we do because of society's expectations. I just got done with a couple of weeks that have left me exhausted because of social obligations that resulted in my having to do more in those two weeks than I should have had to. When I look back, it was as if I was living through my regular life, while adding another in parallel. And why did I do it? Because it was expected of me. What if I hadn't done all of it? Well, there were friendships that could have been ruffled.

Keeping my nudism silent is similar. Why do I have to keep it under wraps? Because of the potential social consequences! The argument for following society's agenda is that we shouldn't be living our lives selfishly, performing tasks that benefit only ourselves. On the other hand, a lot of what we do is unnecessary and is not selfless, since we begrudge what we do. If we follow our hearts, and interact empathetically with people who come into our lives, what we do will be selfless and will be done out of love, not obligation. If we all followed our hearts, I suspect we'd move towards a balance that will be better for all of us; the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment